Please create an account at www.salvationarmyca.volunteerhub.com/lp/mtarrowsmith, and the Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to discuss possible volunteer opportunities.
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we have changed many of our operations to keep clients, volunteers, and staff safe. We maintain the safety of our crews at each location by keeping the location “bubbles” small and consistent, there is minimal client contact, and many other protocols are in place to ensure comfort and safety.
We continually work hard to ensure the safety of you and those around you by following all BC Health guidelines and monitoring the COVID-19 pandemic as it evolves.
If you have any questions or concerns about volunteering during this time, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Angeline, at 250-905-0320 or firstname.lastname@example.org
187 Alberni Highway, Parksville
Located in downtown Parksville, the Soup Kitchen provides approximately 125 meals for free or by donation four days a week.
10-12 volunteers are required Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Shifts are 7:30 AM—11:00 AM (food preparation and set up) and 10:45 AM—2:30 PM (food service and clean-up).
- Prep Cook
- Set-Up Helper
- Coffee Person
886 Wembley Road, Parksville
The Food Bank provides supplemental groceries to about 500 families a month, prepares and delivers food to boost student lunches to local schools (School Packs), and is the intake site for clients that need to access other crisis assistance.
15-20 volunteers are required Monday through Friday with extra help needed from mid-November through December.
Shifts are typically 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
Drivers and Driver’s Assistant shifts: Daily, including weekends and holidays, starting at 7:30 AM on weekdays and 8:30 AM on weekends and holidays.
- Donation Sorter
- Produce Sorter
- Household Good Sorter
- Donation Pick Up Driver & Assistant
- Food Drive Helper
- Hamper Packer
Parksville Main: 109-192 W. Island Hwy
Parksville Furniture Store: 464 Island Highway E
Qualicum Beach: 103-671 Beach Road
Our Thrift Stores generate income year-round to support our community ministries. They also provide clothing and household items to people in crisis and help facilitate environmental stewardship by directing goods away from the landfill. Stores are run by staff and supported by volunteers. Volunteers help reduce costs and increase revenues—thereby increasing the financial benefit to our ministries like the Food Bank and Soup Kitchen.
Thrift Store hours and volunteer needs vary based on location. Shifts are available from 9:30 AM, Monday through Saturday.
- Electronics Tester
- Christmas Warehouse Helper
Administration Office (on hold due to COVID-19)
141 Memorial Avenue, Parksville, BC
Volunteer shifts are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM—12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
Previous office experience preferred.
- Office Assistant — Provides general administrative support to staff.
- Special Projects — Volunteers with backgrounds in bookkeeping or accounting, data entry, graphic design, advertising, or documentation are needed for special projects.
Christmas Kettles (seasonal)
Volunteers are crucial to the success of this annual major fundraising campaign that helps make all our other ministries possible.
From mid-November through Christmas Eve, volunteer shifts are available Monday through Saturday, typically from 9:30 AM or 11:00 AM to 5:30 PM.
- Bell Ringer — Share joy and thank donors while standing by a Salvation Army Christmas Kettle for a two-hour shift.
- Kettle Captain — Responsible for 3-5 kettles in a geographic area, the captain sets up & takes down the kettle each day, greets incoming Bell Ringers at the start of their shifts, and assists with problems in the field.
Volunteer Hub Instructions:
Click here and follow this instructional PDF to sign in to Volunteer Hub to manage your shifts and volunteer profile.
If you don’t know your username and password please contact the volunteer coordinator for this information at email@example.com or 250-905-0320.
Interested in volunteering?
1. Select how you would like to volunteer:
- General volunteer or volunteer group (year-round at the Soup Kitchen, Food Bank, Thrift Store, and/or Administration Office)
- Christmas Kettle volunteer or volunteer group (seasonal)
2. Create a username and password.
3. Complete the online application and read the required policy documents. Note that an email address is required to complete the application. If you do not have an email address please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 250-905-0320.
4. You will receive a confirmation email to verify that your application has been successfully submitted. Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to set up an intake appointment. Next steps include reference checks/criminal record check and an on-site orientation.
Current Volunteer Needs
More volunteers are needed to enable us to serve those seeking our community supports this year. We have openings in all of our ministry areas: Food Bank, Soup Kitchen, Thrift Stores, administration, maintenance, janitorial, donation pick-up drivers etc.
Click HERE to see our schedule of where we need help this week.