CALLING ALL PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE CHRISTMAS KETTLE BELL RINGERS!
Our current volunteer focus is Christmas kettle bell ringers, thrift store clerks and merchandisers, soup kitchen support (prep cooks, servers, dishwashers), and food bank support (produce sorters, reception)
Volunteers are crucial to the success of this annual major fundraising campaign that helps make all our other ministries possible.
From mid-November through Christmas Eve, volunteer shifts are available Monday through Saturday, typically from 9:30 AM or 11:00 AM to 5:30 PM.
- Bell Ringer — Share joy and thank donors while standing by a Salvation Army Christmas Kettle for a two-hour shift.
- Kettle Captain — Responsible for 3-5 kettles in a geographic area, the captain sets up & takes down the kettle each day, greets incoming Bell Ringers at the start of their shifts, and assists with problems in the field.
187 Alberni Highway, Parksville
Located in downtown Parksville, the Soup Kitchen provides approximately 125 meals for free or by donation four days a week.
18-20 volunteers are required Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.
Shifts are 7:30 AM—11:00 AM (food preparation and set up) and 10:45 AM—2:30 PM (food service and clean-up).
- Prep Cook
- Set-Up Helper
- Coffee Person
- Soup Kitchen Helper (AM or PM)
141 Memorial Avenue, Parksville, BC
Volunteer shifts are available Monday through Friday from 9:00 AM—12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
Previous office experience preferred.
- Office Assistant — Provides general administrative support to staff.
- Special Projects — Volunteers with backgrounds in bookkeeping or accounting, data entry, graphic design, advertising, or documentation are needed for special projects.
886 Wembley Road, Parksville
The Food Bank provides supplemental groceries to about 500 families a month, prepares and delivers food to boost student lunches to local schools (School Packs), and is the intake site for clients that need to access other crisis assistance.
19-25 volunteers are required Monday through Friday with extra help needed from mid-November through December.
Shifts are typically 8:30 AM to 12:00 PM and 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM.
Drivers and Driver’s Assistant shifts: Daily, including weekends and holidays, starting at 7:30 AM on weekdays and 8:30 AM on weekends and holidays.
- Donation Sorter
- Produce Sorter
- Household Good Sorter
- Donation Pick Up Driver & Assistant
- Food Drive Helper
- Hamper Packer
- Hamper Carry-Out
Parksville Main: 109-192 W. Island Hwy
Parksville Furniture Store: 464 Island Highway E
Qualicum Beach: 103-671 Beach Road
Our Thrift Stores generate income year-round to support our community ministries. They also provide clothing and household items to people in crisis and help facilitate environmental stewardship by directing goods away from the landfill. Stores are run by staff and supported by volunteers. Volunteers help reduce costs and increase revenues—thereby increasing the financial benefit to our ministries like the Food Bank and Soup Kitchen.
Thrift Store hours and volunteer needs vary based on location. Shifts are available from 9:30 AM, Monday through Saturday.
- Electronics Tester
- Christmas Warehouse Helper
Emergency Disaster Services
This developing program has a team of volunteers trained to provide assistance in the event of disaster. Currently, our focus is on providing food & hydration to first responders. If you’re interested in getting involved, contact our Volunteer Coordinator to sign up for notifications of upcoming training events.
Volunteer Hub Instructions:
Click here and follow this instructional PDF to sign in to Volunteer Hub to manage your shifts and volunteer profile.
If you don’t know your username and password please contact the volunteer coordinator for this information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 250-248-8794.
Interested in volunteering?
1. Select how you would like to volunteer:
- General volunteer or volunteer group (year-round at the Soup Kitchen, Food Bank, Thrift Store, and/or Administration Office)
- Christmas Kettle volunteer or volunteer group (seasonal)
2. Create a username and password.
3. Complete the online application and read the required policy documents. Note that an email address is required to complete the application. If you do not have an email address please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at 250-248-8794.
4. You will receive a confirmation email to verify that your application has been successfully submitted. Our Volunteer Coordinator will contact you to set up an intake appointment. Next steps include reference checks/criminal record check and an on-site orientation.
Current Volunteer Needs
More volunteers are needed to enable us to serve those seeking our community supports this year. We have openings in all of our ministry areas: Food Bank, Soup Kitchen, Thrift Stores, administration, maintenance, janitorial, donation pick-up drivers etc.
Click HERE to see our schedule of where we need help this week.