Starting September 24th on Monday evenings we will be hosting the 9 week Trauma-informed Caregiver Empowered to Connect Connect Course. This training is designed for adoptive and foster parents or those working with children who may have experienced hard pasts (difficult birth, difficult pregnancy, early hospitalization, death of a loved one, adoption, foster care, neglect, abuse, general trauma). The course helps caregivers and support people in the child’s life understand the challenges that these children face and how to help them navigate these challenges for successful growth and healing.
Participants are asked to register in pairs as the material is most successful when applied by both parents or by a single parent and consistent support person.
The course covers the following nine sessions:
- Building a Foundation of Connection
- Understanding What Your Child Brings to the Relationship
- Examining What You Bring to the Relationship (Part 1)
- Examining What You Bring to the Relationship (Part 2)
- Discovering the Heart of Connection – Attachment
- Focusing on the Needs of the Whole Child
- Putting It All Together: Connecting While Correcting (Parts 1-3)
During the in-class sessions, participants cover the above material contained in the ETC Parent Training Manual. In addition, the in-class sessions are supplemented by weekly assignments, including reading and a variety of participatory “at-home” exercises. You can read the Introduction to the ETC Parent Training – Connect course here, and view the ETC Parent Training Resource List here.
Participants will be required to obtain and utilize the following required resources for the course:
- The Connected Child (2007), by Karyn Purvis, David Cross and Wendy Sunshine
- Parenting Is Your Highest Calling: And Eight Other Myths That Trap Us in Worry and Guilt (2008), by Leslie Leyland Fields
- Anatomy of the Soul (2010), by Curt Thompson
- Nurturing Adoptions (Second Ed., 2012), by Deborah Gray
- The Whole-Brain Child (2011), by Daniel J. Siegel and Tina Payne Bryson
- The Out-of-Sync Child (Revised Ed., 2006), by Carol Kranowitz
- Attachment: Why It Matters (2012), DVD produced by the Institute of Child Development
- Attaching in Adoption (Second Ed., 2012), by Deborah Gray
This event is being live simulcast from 6-8pm each week by the Canadian Empowered to Connect Parent Trainers in Edmonton and will be hosted locally at our church by those who have attended the 2 day Empowered to Connect conference.
Participants can register online here OR by cash, cheque or credit card in person at The Salvation Army Administration Office at 187 Alberni Highway in Parksville. Please register before September 10th such that we have time to prepare for the correct number of participants.
Please direct any questions regarding this event or registration to email@example.com